CEP 812 Course Reflection Blog
Through this course in the technology certificate program, I have become increasingly aware of the importance of grounding technology with effective teaching strategies. Technology is best utilized when proven teaching strategies are at the heart of the implementation of the technology. Technologies that scaffold, speak to multiple intelligences, and that promote self-discovery are more valuable than technologies that simply allow for a vivid lecture. Technologies should not be employed if there is a “change without difference”. There are a plethora of technologies around. If a technology fails to exceed the learning experience without it, a different technology should be used in its place.
The other important thing I have learned about incorporating technology is that it should not be done haphazardly. The problem of practice should be addressed prior to choosing a technological solution. This ensures that there is indeed a worthy problem and allows for the educator to critically examine it before choosing a solution. Perhaps, the best solution may be to exclude technology.
Web based technologies have changed my view on technologies greatly. One of the key areas that I focused on through this course is instructional software. There are a ton of stand-alone resources for students on the internet, and present great opportunities for a teacher to give the students additional practice outside of the classroom. However, instructional software should be closely scrutinized before implementing. While certain instructional software presents great opportunities, others contain invalid information, and bias. Educators should be critical of the potential dangers of web based resources, and should definitely stress how to utilize the internet ethically. If the students are aware of how to safely use the internet for learning, and the teacher guides the students there are unlimited opportunities. My TechQuest project demonstrated to me the large volume of videos, simulations, and tutorials on the internet.
I had several personal goals for learning about technology integration. My main goal was to be able to create a one-stop spot for my students to master the material in multiple mediums. This course allowed me to bring together several different aspects that I hoped to incorporate into my site. Specifically, I was able to explore the more advanced features of blogs, and learn how to vodcast and podcast. I additionally was presented with an opportunity to critically examine the potential dangers of the internet, which allowed me to be more effective in my creation of an online resource page.
My other ambition was to be knowledgeable enough to be a technology presenter during a professional development. This course has definitely enabled me with the knowledge to do so. I feel comfortable presenting on creating a classroom website, and utilizing blogging in education. This course, along with 810 and 811, has given me the confidence and supplied me with some of the necessary skills to guide others in technology use.
My new goal is to be a technology leader at my school. I am definitely on my way to achieving my goal, yet there is still aspects of technology that I hope to learn. I do not feel that I have mastered podcasting just yet, as I never was able to get my audio on iTunes. Additionally, I would like to become more competent in html. In order to achieve these minor goals, and in order to emerge as a technology leader at my school, I must stay active in learning about emerging technologies. This program has taught me dually about the great resources on the internet and the value in educational RSS feeds. I hope to utilize my resources to stay on top of the ever-changing educational scene.
The other important thing I have learned about incorporating technology is that it should not be done haphazardly. The problem of practice should be addressed prior to choosing a technological solution. This ensures that there is indeed a worthy problem and allows for the educator to critically examine it before choosing a solution. Perhaps, the best solution may be to exclude technology.
Web based technologies have changed my view on technologies greatly. One of the key areas that I focused on through this course is instructional software. There are a ton of stand-alone resources for students on the internet, and present great opportunities for a teacher to give the students additional practice outside of the classroom. However, instructional software should be closely scrutinized before implementing. While certain instructional software presents great opportunities, others contain invalid information, and bias. Educators should be critical of the potential dangers of web based resources, and should definitely stress how to utilize the internet ethically. If the students are aware of how to safely use the internet for learning, and the teacher guides the students there are unlimited opportunities. My TechQuest project demonstrated to me the large volume of videos, simulations, and tutorials on the internet.
I had several personal goals for learning about technology integration. My main goal was to be able to create a one-stop spot for my students to master the material in multiple mediums. This course allowed me to bring together several different aspects that I hoped to incorporate into my site. Specifically, I was able to explore the more advanced features of blogs, and learn how to vodcast and podcast. I additionally was presented with an opportunity to critically examine the potential dangers of the internet, which allowed me to be more effective in my creation of an online resource page.
My other ambition was to be knowledgeable enough to be a technology presenter during a professional development. This course has definitely enabled me with the knowledge to do so. I feel comfortable presenting on creating a classroom website, and utilizing blogging in education. This course, along with 810 and 811, has given me the confidence and supplied me with some of the necessary skills to guide others in technology use.
My new goal is to be a technology leader at my school. I am definitely on my way to achieving my goal, yet there is still aspects of technology that I hope to learn. I do not feel that I have mastered podcasting just yet, as I never was able to get my audio on iTunes. Additionally, I would like to become more competent in html. In order to achieve these minor goals, and in order to emerge as a technology leader at my school, I must stay active in learning about emerging technologies. This program has taught me dually about the great resources on the internet and the value in educational RSS feeds. I hope to utilize my resources to stay on top of the ever-changing educational scene.
Labels: 812, change without difference, course, final, leader, podcasting, reflection, rss, scaffold, technology
5 Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
Great summary Brian. Sounds like you too have learned alot during these courses, as have I! It's great that you could get this type of training during your first year of teaching as well. This is the est place to apply what you are learning.
Cheers,
Rolf@Warsaw
Brian, You have shared so well all through this course and this summary of your learning and goals in these classes is another example of your ability to reflect and apply what you have learned. In this class you have also helped the other members of the class with your comments and support. I know that your co-workers will appreciate you as a technology leader in your school. You have really internalized the message of our classes. Great work!
You have done such a wonderful job implementing and obtaining your goals! Balancing such a work load with teaching is a struggle but it sounds like you have really benefited from the experience! (and so have your students) I agree that one of the greatest lessons learned is to really take the time to research the technology of choice BEFORE implementing it! Thanks for all your help and comments. Keep up the good work!
Brian,
You sound as though you have truly been inspired. What a great place to start with technology integration, at the beginning of your career! I think you are absolutely right technology and pedagogy must always go together. I too reflected on the amount of good and bad tech out there and we must be careful to make good choices. Keeping ourselves abreast of new technologies is going to be the challenge. I think that having an RSS feed and by using things like twitter and diigo with really benefit us to do that.
Thanks for all your support during the group project and good luck with all your future plans.
Bridget
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home